Foul Weather Shelter
The City of Ventura has established a Foul Weather Shelter plan in conjunction with the River Community Church to protect and preserve life during inclement weather events. The Foul Weather Shelter will accommodate 20 of Ventura’s most vulnerable homeless in a local motel. Individuals 65+ and/or with chronic health conditions are prioritized. The remaining rooms are on a first come first served basis. For those who cannot get a room, “stay warm packs” will be provided.
- The Foul Weather Shelter plan will be triggered with overnight weather projections of over a quarter inch of rain or temperatures under 45 degrees.
- The City’s Safe & Clean Manager will monitor the weather and will notify partners of activation, no less than 48 hours in advance.
- The foul weather season is from December 01, 2022 through March 31, 2023, or when funds run out, whichever comes first.
- Individuals desiring shelter are responsible for arriving at The River Community Church, 859 E. Santa Clara St., Ventura 93001 no earlier than 5pm and no later than 6pm on the day of the weather event.
- Those who do not qualify for a room will be provided with “stay warm packs.”
Staff provided by the City and County will do initial intake and screening of individuals. Once the formal intake is completed, The River Community Church and volunteers will welcome the individuals and guide them to the waiting area for transportation to their room or provide them with the “stay warm pack.”
“Stay warm packs” will consist of donated items. The goal is to be able to provide individuals who do not meet the criteria for the hotel rooms with supplies to assist them during the weather event. Packs will include: rain ponchos, tarps, blankets, jackets, hand-warmers, socks, toiletries, snacks, and bags for the materials.
If you would like to donate items for the “stay warm packs”, please label donations and drop them off at the River Community Church, 859 E. Santa Clara St. Ventura 93001 from 9 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Thursday.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR AMAZON WISH LIST
Monetary donations are being accepted via The River Community Church. Please mail checks to The River Community Church with Foul Weather in the memo line to 859 E. Santa Clara St. Ventura 93001. Or you can give online by CLICKING HERE and select funding “Foul Weather Shelter” on the dropdown list.
A minimum of ten volunteers for set up, support, and take down are needed for the nights of the shelter from 3pm-7pm. If you would like to volunteer, please CLICK HERE.
FOUL WEATHER SHELTER MEALS
We would like to request your assistance in prepared meals for the homeless individuals that will be sheltered during the foul weather season. Would you, your church or your service organization please sign up for a week or two? Signing up does not guarantee you will be providing meals because it totally depends on the weather. Generally we only have 15-20 days of foul weather in a four month period of time – last year we only activated the shelter for three days. If we do have foul weather (under 45 degrees or more than a quarter inch of rain) during the week you signed up, then you will have the opportunity to provide a prepackaged dinner and a prepackaged breakfast. These meals can be prepared at home or purchased at a local restaurant. CLICK HERE to make meals.